Quick, Easy, (and Realistic) Self Care Tips for Busy Moms.
As busy moms, we know how hard it is to find time for yourself. But unmet personal needs and lack of self-care can lead to overwhelm and burnout. Here are some easy (and realistic) self-care tips for busy moms that aren’t yoga or meditation! (Not that we don’t love both of those).
- 24-hour social media detox. Social media is a fantastic way to connect with friends and family, but sometimes it can be therapeutic to simply unplug and disconnect for a day. This is something easy that you can do anytime and you will be surprised at some of the effects you may see. Studies show those who regularly did social media cleanses, reported better sleep, improved mental health, and more socialization.
2. Take a hot shower or bath. Showering alone is a luxury when we are a parent. Why not take some time to make it feel a little more intentional. Turn off the lights, light a scented candle or invest in some bath steamers and sit and relax and let all your senses unwind. One of our favorite tips for the overstimulated mama!
3. Amp up your nutrition. One of the most vital ways to take care of ourselves is what food we put in our bodies. As busy moms, all too often we find ourselves eating leftover chicken nuggets or Mac and cheese and calling it good. Take one day a week to plan out your meals and snacks for the upcoming week. Meal prepping can be tedious but will save you so much time during the week. Find healthy snacks to keep on hand for when you are in a crunch and when you need a treat, find something that not only satisfies your cravings but has added health benefits as well such as these, which you can find at Costco! We love JoJo's!!
4. Prioritize sleep. This is easier said than done when you are a new mom, but if you have the choice between binge-watching your favorite show all night and getting a few extra hours of sleep, opt-in for the second. Sleep is vital to overall health and you will be shocked at how much better you feel when you get adequate amounts of sleep. If you have a difficult time falling asleep try a meditation app such as Calm or invest in a white noise machine.
5. Get outside! We all know that vitamin D is beneficial for our overall health and mood, but let’s chat for a bit about the health benefits of the negative ions that can be found in nature (think streams, waterfalls, trees, beaches). Negative ions are believed to produce biconical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy. So the simple act of sitting out on your back porch can have a huge impact on your overall mood! Don’t have a yard? Invest in some house plants and bring those negative ions inside your home!
6. Make a wish list/Bucket list. Exercising the brain to dream is a proven way to produce endorphins and increase serotonin levels. So create a vision board or travel bucket list as a family! Focusing on things that truly bring you happiness will help ease the stress of everyday life.
7. Complete a task. Do you have a to-do list? Pick something on it and complete it… and totally finish it. We all know the feeling of having a mile-long to-do list, most of it half-finished… when you get to check something off it will be an instant mood booster!
8. Crank up the tunes! Music has an almost instant effect on your mood! Turn on an upbeat playlist and open the windows and bust out the dance moves. Studies show that listening to music can benefit overall well-being, help regulate emotions and create happiness and relaxation in everyday life. Here's a fun playlist!
9. Clean something! There is nothing more satisfying than a good cleaning session. Why not grab your Ayla Vac and vacuum out your car or office space. A decluttered space can help reduce stress and boost your mood!